Al Salam Community School founded by Sue Johnston, one of the most respected names in the UAE education sector and the school CEO, serving the Al Salam community for over 35 years in various senior roles. Sue’s philosophy for education is built upon intrinsic values of inclusivity, high aspirations for every child, and the holistic development of all learners. ‘Every child is special’ is Sue’s motto, and this belief permeates through every aspect of life at the Al Salam Community School. Read more about ASCS Founder and CEO Sue Johnston’s legacy at Which School Advisor: https://whichschooladvisor.com/uae/school-news/al-salam-community-int
At Al Salam Community School diversity is celebrated, and tolerance and inclusion underpin our collective sense of purpose. We are proud to uphold values as a community school that resonate with Dubai’s vision, and this is reflected in every aspect of our learning environment. Our biggest advantage is that Al Salam Community School is an independent school. Indeed we are one of the few remaining independent family owned schools in Dubai. Our intake of school makes us rather unique, with a truly diverse range of students and teachers from ethnicity, nationality, academic ability, socio-economic backgrounds. We foster high aspirations in all our learners, nurture their curiosity and cultivate their imagination. Our new and purposefully designed facilities and learning areas promote a comprehensive extra-curricular programme with character development at its very heart. Thus, we are fully committed to providing the best quality of education, recruiting a largely untapped talent pool of highly qualified teachers and successful leaders.
As members of the Al Salam Team, the values we espouse are:
- Put our Children first – Reminds us of our core purpose, ours is a sacred and moral responsibility
- Make Al Salam Home – Ensures we build and expand on what has made Al Salam successful
- Everyday is a School Day – Keeps us focused on our ambition as learners and enablers of learning
As educators, the learners we endeavour to develop are:
Learners with Aspiration – Inspired individuals who dream of achieving great things and who desire to bring positive change into the world and to those around them
Learners with Agency – Believe in their capacity and responsibility to live in the world with excellence, students who intend and act to make impactful contributions to the present and future.
Learners with Agility – Are determined, equipped and able to pursue their objectives and overcome challenges and adversity.
Learners with Altitude – Devote themselves to a lifelong journey of personal development and sincere effort to elevate others
Our curriculum is based on the National Curriculum for England, but is influenced by current global topics and nuances of the UAE, meeting the specific interests of our international community of children. ASCS is completely technology enabled, a Google certified school, ensuring all teachers and children are equipped with Chrome books. Our staff and children are fully conversant with technology within the classroom and home learning. Although subjects are taught discretely, our teaching takes a Design Thinking approach to learning, intended to engage learners in problem solving, critical thinking, making connections across the curriculum, and preparing them for the next stage of their learning journey. At GCSE and A-Level we offer curriculum pathways to suit all learning needs, choices and talents. Our results have been consistently outstanding, with GCSE results of A*-C averaging 99.6% from 2009 to 2016 inclusive; compared to UK average of 68.5%. A*-A grades have averaged 69.2% over the same time period; compared to UK average of 21.5%.
We are fully committed to the professional development and wellbeing of staff and believe this is a contributing factor to our low staff turnover. Our link with Birmingham University in Dubai supports our NQT teachers and offering our more experience teachers training in new and innovative pedagogy. Our leaders benefit from certified leadership qualifications delivered through University College London, including NPQML, NPQSL and NPQH.
We offer an attractive tax-free salary, furnished accommodation, medical insurance, and an annual flight allowance.
We look for inspirational members to deliver outstanding standards of teaching and learning to our students with a strong foundation for life so they can become positive and contributing members of society.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, creative and experienced librarian. The successful candidate will be an effective team player with the ability to nurture a passion for reading and learning to read in all students, and a commitment to support high quality learning and teaching. This is an excellent opportunity to join a friendly and welcoming community school renowned for its commitment to academic achievement.
Skills and Qualities:
- Relevant Bachelors degree
- Library experience in an educational setting
- Knowledge of online cataloguing systems e.g. Oliver, Follett Destiny
- Knowledge of Reading Programmes e.g. Accelerated Reader by Renaissance Learning
- Commitment to student wellbeing and safeguarding
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to work closely with the English Department to implement library lessons
- Ability to speak Arabic would be an advantage but not essential
- Able to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Use ICT effectively for administration and processing data
- Highly literate and numerate
- Communicate effectively with teachers, students and parents
- Organise and manage the library environment to engage students and stimulate a love of reading
- Liaise with teachers to plan library lessons, and ensure collections and library displays synchronise with curriculum themes
- Review resources to ensure content is age and culturally appropriate, as deemed by the Ministry of Education
- Ensure users return books on time, and collect overdue book fines in accordance with school policy
- Create, update and manage information resources
- Keep up to date with new developments with reading initiatives e.g. Dubai Literature Festival
- Classify and catalogue new library resources online, using online library manager
- Shelve books using the Dewey system to ensure collections are well-organised
- Hold information literacy and guided reading sessions with students
Al Salam Recruitment Policy is designed to ensure that the most qualified, capable and effective individuals are selected and recruited for the School’s community. Our children are ambitious about their futures and are looking for committed teachers who are capable of helping them succeed.
Every successful application is subject to KHDA, Ministry of Labour Approval and satisfactory reference checks.
Please note that you are wholly responsible for fact checking in respect of the information provided by schools. Please also check for the latest visa and work permit requirements that may apply. Tes is not responsible for the content of advertisements or the policies adopted by advertising schools. Tes asks that all schools follow Tes’ Fair Recruitment Policy.